Saturday, December 27, 2008

Super Easy Braided Bread

- 1 package of quick rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and set aside for 5-10 min. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add egg and olive oil to yeast mixture and slowly stir (I use the dough hook on my kitchen aid) into dry ingredients until a sticky but smooth dough is formed. I get impatient and usually add all the liquid, so if it is too sticky just add a little flour until it is manageable enough to knead until somewhat smooth.
Let rise in a greased bowl for 30min. (I put the bowl covered with a towel in the oven with just the light on and I find that makes it rise really well.)
Punch down and separate into 3 even pieces and roll and stretch into tubes about 18" long. Braid pressing ends tightly together. Let rise for another 20-30min and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet at 400 F for 15 min.
When done, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Yaaay! I love this stuff!